Monday, March 21, 2011

WPPI 2011: Living the Dream.

I remember sitting at my computer in 2007, looking at the awesome Stephanie Fay's blog after she shot my cousins wedding. I was amazed, I spent hours looking at the photos that told love stories, and I felt like I was falling in love with each couple as I watched their stories unfold through gorgeous images. I wished someday I could do something like that. I remember reading about how each year there was a photography convention in Vegas called WPPI, althoughI had no idea what it was, I knew it must have been cool, and I hoped for the chance to go, someday.

This year I was given that chance. After spending an hour searching for lost keys, Kristen Booth and I set out on a 3 day adventure to Las Vegas, we were excited but we had no idea how much fun was in store for us!

Because we got a bit of a late start, we headed straight to the convention. After getting registered we headed straight up to hear Bob and Dawn Davis speak on business. They were so inspiring and such a great way to start off the trip. They talked a bit about the principle of Ask, Believe, and Receive. It was a big eye opener for me because I'm often afraid to ask for anything, because I just feel so blessed to be where I am!! But I've realized that I need to be courageous, and be vocal about my dreams, and who knows! I'm sure in the "asking" process, I'll get alot of no's. But one day, I believe it will be a YES. And that excites me! :)

After the first class we were super pumped about the trip and couldn't wait to see what more would come for us! We walked from the MGM Grand to a "twisted-southern cooking restaurant called Hash House a Go Go with a few friends. At this point I was feeling almost weak with hunger (okay, a little dramatic.. but seriously, I WAS STARVING!) and I figured I would be able to eat most of anything I ordered. But we had no idea how much food was about to come my way! Kristen and I ordered pork sandwiches. Check these babies out. Seriously... we should have shared. The whole table got a kick out of seeing how we would navigate these sandwiches that were about 2x's the size of our heads!



A man from another table even had to come up and take a photo of Kristen pretending to eat it! A little creepy? Yes. :)

We finished off the night at the [B]school Party. We had a blast taking some photos in a photo booth and making our own High Desert Dance Party. haha. :)



Oh Yeah. We're cool alright. :)



Hahah. These crack me up!

Monday we were up bright and early to be at Bobbi & Mike's 8a.m. class. While we were exhausted, It was totally worth it to go. We had an absolute blast listening to Bobbi & Mike's fun personalities playing off of eachother. We learned about making clients comfortable not only in front of the camera, but with the person behind the camera as well. It was great to meet them later on and spend a few minutes over lunch chatting and laughing at the guys.

During our wait in the lunch line we met Chase Jarvis the inventor of the Jarvie Window since Kristen and I had no idea what the Jarvie Window was... He just had to run and get his camera to show us... man did he show us, up close and personal! But so much fun! Check us out! haha.

Photobucket

Later in the day, we went to see Jasmine Star's platform class: Untold Stories. It was a great message, very challenging and inspiring. Challenging us all to make changes, in business, in shooting, and in life. Changes are scary. But by being willing to do the scary stuff... I believe there will be big improvements and rewards. And by being proactive and making these changes. We will be making edits to our own stories. Telling them the way we want them told. Not letting them be told for us. :)

After the class we went over and met her. Jasmine was so sweet and took time to say hello to every single person that waited to meet her. That really spoke to me. In the world of photography, she is kind of a big deal. But she was so down to earth and humble and took time to meet people, lots of people.



See what I mean? Jasmine Star. You are Fabulous. :)

Photobucket

After all of this I was feeling on top of the world. I could have gone home happy with my experience that night. But there was still an entire day left! That night we went to an event called PhotogUnite. Basically a group of about 300 Christians squeezing into the Showit Lounge and glorifying the Lord, right in the middle of Sin City. This was definitely a highlight of my trip. I was just taking in how amazing it was to be surrounded by other photographers who love Jesus. Plus we were in Vegas and we were living it up by getting into the word. ;)

The last day of our trip was spent relaxing, going over notes, seeing the trade show, and hanging out with friends. We went to hear Roberto Valenzuela speak on shooting and posing. Roberto's work is so beautiful and his story of paying his way through college by giving guitar lessons (when he didn't even know how to play at first himself!) was so inspiring. I learned a lot about the importance practicing, and making photos rather than just taking snapshots. I learned so much from this single class.  I said once again, now I can go home!

Kristen and I finished the night off with an awesome mexican food dinner and even better conversation at Diego. One thing to say about Las Vegas Dining.. I love the presentation! I hope someday I can present food like they do it in Vegas! haha.

This trip was such an amazing experience. I'm so glad I was blessed  enough to be able to go and learn from such talented and inspiring people. I'm constantly surprised by God's abundance of love and provision in my life. A year ago if you would have told me where I would be today I never would have believed it! And I still have SO far to go. But I'm thankful, hopeful, and excited to see where his plan takes me.

Kristen and I were so pumped from all this, that on the ride home we talked the whole way, and came up with a new little project you'll be hearing more about in the near future!
Sorry, I know this post was painfully long, but I wanted to remember all of this, and I think that the things I learned can go not only for other photographers, but for anyone who has dreams for their life.
ASK. BELIEVE. RECEIVE.

We can do it!

P.S. I have shamefully stolen most of these photos from other blogs/phones. I spent my time in vegas learning rather than shooting, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I linked to everyone.. So hopefully that makes up for my sins! lol! :)

3 comments:

  1. great blog sista!

    and dang. you told me that sandwich was massive... but that's hardly adequate to describe it! : )

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty,
    Blog was not too long - you had to capture the whole story. Anything less would have been... less. I love your heart thank you for sharing it with others!!!
    Love,
    A.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been very blessed to have God bring you strong, Christian mentors to encourage and share the craft of photography. What a wonderful reminder that God is always looking to bless and protect his daughter. Wonderful blog - even better story.

    ReplyDelete